1. BE ENTHUSIASTIC! IT’S CATCHING! Choose GREAT books that you LOVE!
– Use Reader-Response approach. (Louise Rosenblatt/Judith Langer)
– Small group discussion & prep. followed by whole class discussion and presentations. This allows for individual preparation before students are expected to speak in front of the whole class.
– Found poems. (See here)
– Oral book reports (30 sec’s – 1 minute max!)
– Literature circles (like book clubs!).
– Creative writing & read-alouds (“authors’ chair”)
– Students post cards with annotated bibliographical info on favourite supplementary books. (Create a “book wall”)
– LOTS of oral reading: teacher class around the class pairs groups
– Readers’ Theatre
– Literary Term posters
– Favourite picture books/poems/stories from childhood
– Personal Literary Anthology (See here)
– Reader-Writer Workshop (See here)